Tuesday, November 30, 2010

An introduction

You're beautiful. A beautiful mess. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Your God loves you more than anyone you can think of right now. More than your own mother. I know...that one's hard to understand or accept, but its the truth. He loves the crap out of you. Every fault, every hair on your head. He knows it all and he loves you anyway. Completely. He knows you better than you know yourself. Here's a kicker: he knows the desires of your heart, even the icky slimy ones. But if you ask, he can forget it all in a heartbeat. Every mess you've made, ever thing you regret. If you give him a life of service and worship, he is faithful and just to forgive you and make you a new person. Trust me, the Bible says so, and I know it from my own personal experience.  If you're interested, let me know and I'll be glad to share with you. If not, that's fine too.

Anyway, I would like to share my purpose and motivation for starting this blog. First of all, I have searched near and far for a college devotional, and could not find one. I find this extremely depressing considering that college is the time in your life that defines you. Its the time you make the decisions that will effect your life forever. Its the time where you figure out who you are without your parents. Who you can be on your own. As a person in that step of my life right now, I can't tell you what its going to be like afterwards. Ask your mom or dad if you wanna know that. But I can tell you that as a college student I struggle with things. Especially insecurities. You see, this world expects so much from us. We have to be smart, funny, skinny...you name it...we expect ourselves to be perfect, and we're not. Thats the beauty in Christianity and in Jesus. We aren't perfect, and thats what makes us beautiful. But because of these high and sometimes unreasonable expectations the world places on us, we lose sight of who we are in the most pivotal moment--which is now. Right now when we are shaping who we are, we have no instruction, no outlet, no example....only expectations placed upon us. So we develop insecurities. And I know that first hand. 

So I have set out to write this blog to encourage myself and anyone who desires to read of who I really am. Who I am in Christ. Because to be honest, I am still searching. There are times I don't even want to be me and I want to change everything about myself, and I don't want those times to exist anymore. I want to find who I am and roll with it. I want to get closer to Christ and be more like him. So I'm going to turn to my bible and some resources from a former counselor to share with you who the bible says we are. What could matter more than that? I want to be who Jesus wants me to be, don't you? I want to be comfortable with myself. Not only comfortable--proud. 

In each post I plan to give a statement about who we are, a corresponding scripture, some song lyrics that are relevant to the topic or perhaps just on my heart, a picture, and my thoughts. I hope you enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment